What is Help Desk Software?
Help desk software facilitates the smooth delivery of customer service at various stages from the front desk, which answers FAQs or common issues, to supervisory and management levels until a complex problem is resolved. During escalation, a good solution ensures customer issues are tracked, properly endorsed, and addressed within a reasonable time to avoid losing customers’ goodwill and their business. Help desk software also keeps a record of customer conversations, email messages, transactions, and other engagements for reporting or as reference for knowledge base or best practice case studies. A good solution creates a centralized portal for your communication channels, such as, hotline numbers, email addresses, live chat, and social networks, to ensure no query falls into the crack. Similarly, you can also gauge agent performance more accurately using the software’s metrics and insights.
Best Help Desk Software
How to Choose The Best Help Desk Software
You may think that help desk software programs are all the same in the market, but in reality, they are quite different from each other in terms of features, functionalities, and pricing methodologies. Read this buyer’s guide on help desk software so you will have a better understanding of the issues you should consider before buying a solution for your company, whether it is a big one or a small startup.
Free trials can be great for evaluating products
Consider beginning your search with signing up for several free trial plans offered by every popular vendor. It will give you the advantage of testing all the key features of each software before you actually spend any mone on it and it there are any problems you’ll know about them right away. The best thing to do is to try services that currently have the highest results in our SmartScore and Custmer Satisfaction Rating in the help desk software category: Freshdesk, Zendesk, Samanage, Zoho Support, ClickDesk, CRMdesk, LiveAgent, ManageEngine, Desk.com, Salesforce, Freshservice and DeskRoll.
Let us first start with the question: What is a help desk software solution?
Many people get confused by what help desk software actually is and what it’s used for. This is because help desk can be understood either a software management solution for your teams that provides service to employees or internal customers; or a software platform to help your company’s teams provide excellent service to your external customers (in short, those who buy goods or services from your company).
In both instances nevertheless, help desk software solutions help you store customer information (whether they are internal or external) in fully searchable databases that monitors your customer interaction and automates the entire resolution process with the help of a ticketing system. In its basic level, the primary role of help desk software is to improve your capability to organize customer data and increase the effectiveness of your business.
In addition to this main function, help desk software platforms offer a number of these features, if not all:
- Self-service. Your customers, whether they are internal or external, can use the solution’s portals themselves to look for solutions. In short, they do not always have to contact a representative every time they have a problem or issue that needs your attention. For example, a lot of help desk management software solutions these days offer self-service features such as documentation on the services or products your company offers, user-friendly how-to pages, downloadable patches, community forums, instructional and searchable FAQs, among other helpful resources. If your customers are unable to look for the right solutions from these self-service features, the help desk software solution usually allows them to write their concerns and send a ticket.
- Knowledge management system. Knowledge management system refers to a hub of information as well as descriptions to the most common problems or issues in your product or service or even the previous concerns that have been resolved. This information hub can be available publicly, such as a self-service site that your customers can visit. Alternatively, the repository can also be intended for internal use only by your technicians or customer service representatives. Many knowledge management systems offered by help desk software solutions have advanced search tools to help the users, whether your employees, team members, or your customers, in finding solutions or the right answers to any question or concern. There are some software platforms that even autosuggest queries or articles as a user types.
- Asset management system/IT network management system. A good help desk software system also offers outstanding asset management functionalities that can monitor changes to your software and even hardware configurations. On the other hand, network management solutions can evaluate the health of your computer servers or other network components you are using. These functionalities may be offered by the help desk software vendor through integrations using information technology service management tools.
- Reporting. Some help desk software solutions have reporting capacities that can overall monitor your agent productivity and service desk performance. In most cases, performance metrics usually include the overall number of open tickets; average time of resolving complaints; satisfaction of your customers; ticket resolutions that can be sorted our based on shift, date, or agent; among others.
- Support with the help of a tablet or a smartphone. In today’s market, a good number of help desk software solutions do come in with smartphone, tablet, or Web application versions of their platforms. In short, any customer or employee who wishes to access the help desk software’s features can use a smartphone, tablet, or go to the Internet to use the knowledge base, provide or read customer data, send out or receive tickets, check out reports, and utilize other features anytime anywhere.
- Service level agreement (SLA). Many vendors in the market offer SLAs that can be immediately guaranteed to customers, plus other service guarantees. This feature will enable, for instance, your support desk team employees to conduct immediate and automatic escalations, prioritization triggers, as well as other customized rules to make sure that the tickets your company has been receiving are manage in compliance and given topmost priority with SLAs.
- Remote control. This functionality enables your organization’s technicians to manage, access, and control a customer’s computer from a remote point, giving remote diagnosis, and resolving any issue or complaint with little customer involvement.
Why does your business need a help desk software solution?
Help desk software solutions will enable companies like yours, whether it is big or small, to easily evaluate information technology crises. In addition, business will boost their efficiency by managing information technology-related concerns better. So, what does it all mean? It means you will have more savings for your company since you will be using tools such as automation, self-service and other workflow efficiency tools.
The landscape of help desk software programs
As stated earlier, help desk software programs can be used to handle complaints or issues you’re your external or internal customers. Some solutions in fact serve both, while other management platforms serve either external or internal customers.
- External. This help desk software solution serves the end consumers of your company, whether they are individuals buying products or services from you, or another company that has business transactions with you. These software programs can help you with your general customer service problems as well as information technology-related concerns. Since the businesses, companies, and industries that need external help desk software platforms are very diverse, those buying this type of software program might prefer that the platform solution can perfectly integrate call center software systems, sales force automation, and marketing automation.
- Internal. This type of software solution in general provides service to a company’s employees or internal customers. In many cases, the software solution supports the various information technology concerns of customers. But there are some cases when this type of help desk solution is given to human resource management for concerns regarding employee benefits.
Benefits of using help desk software programs
When implemented correctly, these help desk software platforms can boost the operations of your company or organization in five key ways:
- Reduce manpower costs because of the self-service tools
- Identify and quickly solve issues that keep on happening
- Reduce the work lags of your employees from information technology issues that continue to be unsolved
- Give better transparency and communication into your customers’ service requests starting from creation of tickets all the way to their resolution
- Automate issue escalation, triaging, as well as prioritization
Page last modified